Dr. Krishna Kumar Shrestha
Systematics & Ethnobotany
1. Research Interests: Plant Systematics (Floristics, Biodiversity), Ethnobotany
2. Education: Ph.D. (Plant Systematics), Komarov Botanical Institute, Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg, Russia (1992).
M. Sc. (Botany), Central Department of Botany, Tribhuvan University, Nepal (1978).
3. Teaching and research experiences: 32 Years
A. Teaching: Head of the Department, Central Department of Botany, T.U. (January 2008 till date).
Professor, Central Department of Botany, T.U., Kirtipur (2003 till date).
B. Research: Darwin Fellow (Post Doctoral Fellow), The Natural History Museum, London, UK (Oct. 27, 1997 - Oct 26, 1999).
Principal Investigator / Co-investigator in over 20 Research Projects (1994-2010).
4. Current research projects:
1. Co-Team Leader: “Biodiversity and Livelihood development in Land-use gradients in an Era of Climate change”, in collaboration with Swiss Federal Institute for Forest, Snow and Landscape Research, Birmensdorf, Switzerland, Supported by: Swiss National Science Foundation (2010-2013).
2. Core Team member: Feasibility study Report and Conservation strategy for the Kailash Sacred Landscape Conservation Initiative Project. Supported by: ICIMOD/ UNEP (2010-2011).
3. Team Leader: “Development of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants Network (MAPs-Net) Nepal: on-line Database of Medicinal and Aromatic Plants of Nepal”. A Project supported by International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD), Kathmandu, Nepal (On-going since 2008).
5. Grants, awards and scholarship
Awards and Medals
1. ‘Merit of Excellence Award’, awarded by SV University, Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh, India and Medicinal Plant Board, India (2008).
2. “National Science & Technology Academy Award, “A” Class, awarded by the Nepal Academy of Science & Technology (2005).
3. 'Mahendra Vidya Bhusan 'A', conferred by His Majesty the King Birendra (1994).
4. 'National Education Award - 1987', awarded by the Ministry of Education, HMG Nepal (1987).
6. Selected publications (Selective Ten only)
1. Bajracharya, D., K.K. Shrestha and R.P. Chaudhary. 1997. Garden Flowers - An illustrated Guide to indoor and outdoor garden Plants in Nepal. King Mahendra Trust for Nature Conservation, Kathmandu, Nepal, 233 pp.
2. Bajracharya, D.M. and K.K. Shrestha. 2003. Eria bhutanica (Orchidaceae), a New Species from Bhutan. Harvard Papers in Botany, 7 (2): 403-405.
- Jha, P.K., K.K. Shrestha, M.P. Upadhyaya, D.P. Stimart and DM. Spooner. 1996. Plant Genetic Resources of Nepal: A guide for plant breeders of agricultural, horticultural and forestry crops. Euphytica(Netherlands) 87: 189-210.
4. Press, J.R. and K.K. Shrestha. 1999. Collections of Flowering Plants by Francis Buchanan-Hamilton from Nepal, 1802-1803. Bull. Br. Mus. Nat. Hist. (Bot.). 30 (2): 101-130.
5. Press, J.R., K.K. Shrestha and D.A. Sutton, D.A. 2000. Annotated Checklist of the Flowering Plants of Nepal. The Natural History Museum, London and Tribhuvan University, Kathmandu, Nepal, 430 pp.
- Rajbhandary, S., M. Hughes and K.K. Shrestha. 2010. Three New Species of Begonia Sect. Platycentrum from Nepal. Gardens’ Bulletin Singapore 62 (1): 151-162.
7. Shrestha, K.K. 1997. Taxonomic revision of the Sino-Himalayan genus Cyananthus (Campanula-ceae). Acta Phytotaxonomica Sinica, 35 (5): 396-433.
8. Shrestha, K.K. and Press, J.R. 2000. Catalogue of Type specimens from Nepal: a catalogue of type specimens of flowering plants described from Nepal. The Natural History Museum, London, 123 pp.
- Shrestha, K.K., N.N. Tiwari and S.K. Ghimire. 2001. MAPDON – Medicinal and Aromatic Plant database of Nepal. Proceedings of Nepal-Japan Joint Symposium on Conservation and Utilization of Himalayan Medicinal Resources. Department of Plant Resources and SCDHMR, Japan pp.53-74.
- Uprety, Y., E.K. Boon. R.C. Poudel, K.K. Shrestha, S. Rajbhandary, A. Ahenkan and N.N. Tiwari. 2010. Non-timber Forest products in Bardiya District of Nepal: Indigenous Use, Trade and Conservation. J. Hum. Ecol. 30 (3): 143-158.
7. Ph.D. Supervision:
1. Bajracharya, D.M. (1998-2004). Systematic Revision of the genus Eria Lind. (Orchidaceae) in the Himalaya (Thesis defended and degree awarded: 2005).
2. Rajbhandary, Sangeeta (2007-2010). Revision of the genus Begonia L. (Begoniaceae) in the Himalaya (PhD Thesis submitted in August 2010; PhD. defense probably in December 2010).
3. Sailesh Ranjitkar, Sailesh (2009-2012). Response of tree phenology to climate change: A case study of Eastern Himalayan tree rhododendrons. Supervisors: Prof. Xu Jianchu (China), Prof. Krishna K. Shrestha (Nepal).
4. Shrestha, Rose (2010-2013). Population Biology of some commercially threatened medicinal plants of Nepal (Ph.D. Registration at Dean office, TU).
8. Other Activities
- Founder President, Ethnobotanical Society of Nepal (ESON), since January 1997.
- General Secretary, Nepal Botanical Society (2006-20010).
- Member of Editorial Board, Journal of Ethnobiology and Ethnomedicine (since 2010)
- Editor, Flora of Nepal. A collaborative project of RONAST, Royal Botanical Gardens Edinburgh, Natural History Museum London, and University of Tokyo (Since August 2002).
- Chief Editor, Botanica Orientalis, Journal of Plant Sciences, Central Department of Botany, Tribhuvan University (since 2009)
- Editor, Journal of Natural History Museum, Natural History Museum, TU, Swayambhu, Kathmandu, Nepal (since 2008).
- Editor, Nepal Journal of Plant Sciences, Publication of Nepal Botanical Society (since 2005).